IRMA Training  
December 14, 2017, 08:01:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: We have had to stop posting priveleges because there were some members who were posting unacceptable links and pictures.  If you wish to post on here then e mail IRMA with the post and I will add it for you.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Aggressive staff  (Read 6716 times)
van d man

View Profile
« on: July 28, 2008, 05:47:56 PM »

To anyone who may have any thought's (on this subject, not something random like how do they put the holes in cheese?),

A couple of years ago I worked nights on an adolescent unit. It was a small unit having only 2 staff at night. The nurse I worked with would become aggressive towards clients when they were emotionally dysregulated. I tried talking to her about it on several occasions, even immediately after an incident. The conversation would go something like this (names changed, in case I get sued),

Van- Donna it really isn't helpful to be aggressive towards patients when they are angry

Donna- ah no you shouldn't

Van-    no, I'm saying that you shouldn't be aggressive towards patients

Donna- ah no not me I wouldn't do that

Van- Donna I've just seen you shouting at a patient and wagging your finger at her!

Donna- ah no it wasn't me. I wouldn't do that

Van- I just saw you. I was there

Donna- ah no I wouldn't do such a thing

Van- AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Complete denial was the stock response EVERY TIME! Now, I'm quite a nice bloke, patient, kind, caring blah blah blah. But there are only so many times you can do this. I tried to discuss it with my line manager who sent her on the next available TMVA update, any change? None not a bit. I then spoke to the night manager (who was a lovely person but a bit worn down by the politics of the place and so a little passive). Any change? None not a bit. I was advised to make a formal complaint, but like I've said, I'm a nice bloke, I didn't want to go down that route. Other than doing this, which might have made a difference, although I'm not so sure, what else do you think could have been done? Of course this topic brings up other dilemas too, such as, did I have a profesional responsibility to make it formal for the sake of my client group. Any thoughts!
maxine
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 02:44:33 PM »

Hi Van

Difficult one especially if you have to continue to work with the person involved. 

I think my response would have been to put it in writing the more these people get away with this type of behaviour the more it encourages others to act in the same way.  It can become a culture on a unit with everybody turning the other way.

I would also suggest that there may be POVA issues here and I believe it is up to us to reinforce good practice wherever we work.

Personally I always think that if my children etc were there, how would I expect them to be treated.  This always guides me into what action to take.  But there again I am not such a nice laid back person as you.

Grin

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: